Monday, July 03, 2006

27, 29 de junio y 3 de julio

27 de junio de 2006
Wow it is so weird to see that date. My sabbatical to Mexico is almost over. But not yet! J We had an awesome vacation in Huatulco where we found this amazing beach called Conejos. I defintely took 40 pictures of just beach there. I don’t know what they’re all of but each one is absolutly breathtaking. The only bad news of the vacation was that we had to come back afterwards. Haha, just kidding. Actually, there’s more. There’s this really famous place in Huatulco called La Crema where they are really well known for their pizzas. The group of people that I hang out with most and I went on Saturday to eat there and it was delicious. Well, we told everyone how good it was and they bragged to us about the great seafood they had on the beach so we decided Sunday night to go out and get seafood. I accidently ate something we were told not to since it is only cooked very quickly and sometimes is not safe. Monday morning we wake up to one of the girls in our room moaning in pain. She was one who went to la Crema. She called her dad and he told her to drink water and try and pass whatever was causing problems but when she tried, nothing would stay down. Well, a few minutes later we find out that about nine of the twelve people who went to la Crema were either up all night or couldn’t leave the bathroom at all that morning. It was terrible, but one of the girl’s father is a doctor and he recommended an over the counter drug that is a blanket anti-biotic that supposed to be really good. So all of us that were feeling fine raced to the drugstore and consolidated everyone sick into one room so we could check out of the others. The people at the hotel we were staying at were relaly not very sympathetic at all but it was okay because we only had to pay $20 to keep the room for an extra five hours. It was crazy and we were all being extremely careful of what we ate and where afterwards because all of our poor people that got sick looked so miserable. Hopefully, they’re all feeling better today.

29 de junio de 2006
Yesterday and today may offically go down as the least fun days of my trip. Yesterday, I woke up knowing it wasn’t going to be a great day because we had 15 minute presentations due in 311. Everyone was scrambling to get them done since it was right after vacations so I knew no one’s was going to be magnificant but mine wasn’t bad considering that I did it all in two and a half days. I even made a PowerPoint presentation (if you’re reading this, you probably already know me and know that I can do anything as long as I have a PowerPoint presentation backing me up!). So I in total had about 8 minutes of presentation, without using my PowerPoint and I knew it wouldn’t be a problem. Everything was going fine until during my presentation the guy I’ve had classes with before started giggling. At the end of the presentation, he straight up laughed and during questions asked if I really believed that the Guelaguetza (an indigienous celebration) has been celebrated for 3,000 years. Even my teacher backed me up but that wasn’t good enough for him, he wanted to read my research which I had right there with me. Then, he contested the phrasing of the research. At this point, I was ready to kill him. I was throughly embarrased. It really didn’t help at all that my teacher was attempting to reassure me that she believed my research. Anyway, we get to his presentation, which was a presentation of one of the preseidental candidates right now and he was totally unprepared. He just kept repeating “The most important thing is that, we’re going to win.” He didn’t even know the candidate’s stance on corruption in the Mexican government which is definitely one of the biggest issues in this election. Anyway, ces’t la vie.
Today, I’m not feeling well and I’m wondering if what everyone had in Huatulco wasn’t actually a bug or a virus or something rather than food poisoning. But it’s funny because I was stressed out last night about my bad day and because I keep missing my mom when she tries to call me and since I’m sick today Paula and Ricardo are sure that’s why. They want me to confront my friend, email my mom, and go out dancing and relax tonight. They might be right and they might be crazy and I might just take their advice. Love to all.

3 de julio de 2006
A ton of things have happened in the bit of time that I haven’t written. I got better thanks to a new antibiotic that was recommended to the people in Huatulco. I wasn’t going to use anthing but at the point where I couldn’t leave my house for two days, yes it was time. So I feel much better. We found out that we all have to redo a presentation in one class or effectively fail the presentation because we all read off the paper. Sad. I got to meet Paula and Ricardo’s son who is going to be going to Europe for a month on vacation (I’m jealous!). We got another student in our house (Erin, the girl from Temple left). The new girl’s name is Dana and she’s really pretty and she just finished a month trip around the world which she’s concluding here in Mexico for five weeks. And then of course, yesterday Mexico had their presidental elections. I stayed up until 11 waiting for them to anounce preliminary winner and the IFE came on and said that with the margin of error, it was too close to announce. So this morning of course, all of the presidental candidates were on TV claiming that they were ahead in the polls. This is hilarious. The new president MUST be announced on Wednesday though so I will be very excited to know who has won. I think it could (depending on who wins) have large implications for the US. We’ll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home